I can’t believe it’s been four years since I posted this Scalloped Beets recipe. It was one of my first blog recipes, and it’s still one of my favorites. Because it’s made with a handful of ingredients, no one flavor is overpowered by the other. As mentioned in the recipe notes, this dish is great as a side (with roasted lamb or poultry) or paired with a green salad as a main.
The Cast: Scalloped Beets with Chèvre, Rosemary, and Walnuts
Sweet, earthy (and bright!) beets
Creamy, tangy goat cheese
Crunchy roasted walnuts
- 8 medium-sized beets
- 3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped and divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 ounces chèvre, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Wash beets thoroughly. Poke a few holes in them with a knife or fork. Put them in an ovenproof skillet or pan and drizzle with a little olive oil. Pour 1 cup of water in the skillet or pan. Cover pan with foil. Roast beets for 1 hour, undisturbed. You will know they are ready when they are easily pierced with a knife.
- Once done, take beets out of the oven and dunk in an ice bath. Peel off their skin. When cool enough to handle, use either a food processor or a sharp knife to thinly (about ⅛ inch) cut beets. Layer half the beets along the bottom of an overnproof dish or skillet .Sprinkle half the garlic, rosemary, half of the salt, and 2 oz. of the goat cheese on top. Layer on the rest of the beets. Sprinkle with the remainder of the garlic, rosemary, the rest of the salt, and another 2 oz. goat cheese.
- Meanwhile, heat cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once warm, add the reserved 4 oz. of goat cheese and stir until it melts into the cream. Pour the hot cream mixture over the top of the beets. Give the pan a little shake or bang it against the counter to help the cream settle between the layers. Top with chopped walnuts and black pepper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cream bubbles. Serve warm.
- This recipe can be made a day in advance.